Ok, this week's round up is actually being written on Sunday morning, as originally intended. I could get used to this. I'm not going to rant about the stimulus package, though, or the president's new multi-trillion dollar budget plan. Instead, since at this very moment I'm suffering from one mother of a hot flash, I'm going to focus on a couple of things happening in my life.
1. If menstration and being the gender responsible for childbirth isn't enough, women must also suffer through menopause...complete with memory lapses (now, what did I wear to work yesterday?), irritability (exCUSE me? oh REALly?), hot flashes (do you mind if I undress right here?), achey joints (ouch!), unreliable cycles (again? already?), weight gain (my metabolism has not just slowed down, it has passed away) and did I mention irritibility (could someone hand me that ball bat?).
2. Ok, I know I don't have the body of a 25 year old...I don't think I ever did...but why, oh why, doesn't my body cooperate every once in a while? I'm exercising. I really am. And I have precious little to show for it. My body is refusing to let go of that extra 15 pounds it has managed to sneak on and it's now come to a battle of wills. Mine against my body's. My body is winning. But I'm stubborn.
3. Running is fun. I joined an exercise group who is training to walk, run or combo walk/run a 5K race in mid-April. We meet once a week, get tips and work out together, then have a training program to follow the rest of the week. I'm planning to walk/run the 5K, and I'm hoping to do the 10K at Cincinnati's Flying Pig Marathon in May. Getting off those extra 15 pounds would certainly help. Did I mention I'm stubborn?
4. Health issues have become regular concerns now. Not only does it take my own body a while to recover from a simple cold or fall (my own recent experiences), and of course I always worry about my parents' health, but I now find myself also worrying over health concerns of my friends and co-workers. In just the last two weeks, three lovely women friends have found lumps in their breasts. All three are getting biopsies or having the lumps removed. It's just another reminder that age brings with it a lot more to worry about than just 15 extra pounds. (And Suzie, if you're reading this, I'm so relieved and happy that everything turned out just fine.)
5. Did I already mention hot flashes, and irritibility? Oh yes. I did. Ok then. 'Nuff said.
And now I'm off to a broomball game. I'm the goalie. Woo hooo! Enjoy life, everyone. Even the hot moments.