Monday, March 17, 2008

Treading water...

I do realize that I need to be more disciplined about blogging. It often seems that at the end of the day, though, when all else is said and done, I can't think of a single creative thing to "say." Imagine that! A writer with not one bit of interesting prose or muse to share. Well, that's not exactly true. I have lots of interesting and creative thoughts swirling around in my head, keeping me awake at night, but just not enough energy to formulate them into a blog entry.

A colleague has resigned to move on to a new job in another state. I am thrilled for her--it was a wonderful opportunity--and will miss her. But in the meantime, someone must take over for her until we hire a replacement. Yes, you guessed it. That someone is me. I'm not complaining. Much. :) It's a chance to learn more about the responsibilities of that position and to broaden my professional horizons. (Did that sound convincing?) There has been one big benefit, though. Juggling the two, very busy positions has forced me to be more organized and structured. And for me, that's a good thing!

I suppose what I'm trying to say is....that's my excuse for sporadic blogging and, by golly, I'm sticking to it. I do have a couple of writing accomplishments to brag about, though. I learned today that a poem I submitted to a publication called fragments was accepted and will appear in the spring edition. And.... I've submitted three fiction stories to two separate contests. I submitted a short story entry for this month's Writer's Digest "Your Story" contest and this past weekend, I submitted two stories to the Dayton Daily News's Short Story contest.
So I feel fairly proud of myself. I'm writing. I'm submiting. And I'm getting accepted. Yes, I do realize that the acceptances may likely be few and far between, and the rejections letters will come all too fast and furious. So please allow me to gloat now while I can. I'll whine and pout later.

Have a wonderful remainder of March. Here in SW Ohio, it still feels like winter outside. Brrrrrrrrr! Here's hoping for spring....soon!

No comments: