Sunday, June 29, 2008

3 College Grads

Well...my youngest son graduated from Miami University in May. Three down. Three graduated. I feel proud of them. Very proud. Education is so very important--much more so than ever before. The days of lucrative factory jobs straight out of high school, without any post highs chool education, are all but over, especially in the area we live in. Plants like the nearby GM plant are closing and those $30/hour jobs are going with them. Education or specialized training is no longer just as option, it's a necessity.

My youngest daughter will return to complete a bachelors degree in early childhood education in the fall (she received an associates degree a couple of years ago), and I couldn't be happier about that. She'll be a wonderful teacher, and a teaching career will allow her plenty of time with my little grandson and any future family she may have.

And as for me...I don't just talk the talk. I'm a part-time student myself now and plan to finish a degree when I retire from the university in a few years. Even at this age, at nearly the end of a very satisfying and productive career, I realize how important education is. I'm excited about learning and I look forward to every class I take. In the fall, I'm taking a Short Story class and a Geology class. Can't wait.

If you're thinking about taking a class or going back to school, go for it. There's never been a better time.

No comments: